Conflict comes in all shapes and sizes. Regardless of whether we enjoy it, dealing with conflict is a part of life. And how we handle conflict determines whether it is a positive or negative experience for us. To be successful at work, you must be able to effectively confront conflict head-on. If you don’t learn to master the art of managing conflict, you could risk hurting your career success, your personal happiness and even worse, the happiness of others who depend on you.
You’ll learn how to:
- Handle confrontation calmly and professionally, without fear, dread, or anxiety.
- Never again lose your cool when you’re involved in conflict.
- Significantly strengthen workplace relationships by knowing how to work through disagreements.
- Recognize symptoms of brewing conflict – and head it off before it happens.
- Shut down backstabbers and those who spread gossip about you and others.
- Know exactly what to say when someone puts you down or criticizes you unjustly in front of others.
- Work through differences with your boss for win-win results.
- Know “what to say when” in specific uncomfortable workplace situations involving conflict.
- Confront the annoying behavior of others without angering or offending them.
- Keep anger, tears, and unwanted emotions in check at all times.
- Boost your productivity by no longer wasting time and energy in pointless arguments with coworkers and supervisors.
- Know how to defuse an angry person so the situation doesn’t escalate.
- Use disagreement as a tool to strengthen your team and improve cooperation.
- Enjoy a calmer, more harmonious work environment where people get along.
- Easily avoid being dragged into arguments you want no part of.
- Use easy de-stressing tips to stay calm and collected.
- Identify toxic stressors that bring conflict into your life and eliminate them wherever possible.
- Communicate clearly to end mixed messages that can lead to disagreements.
- Earn respect throughout your organization, thanks to your new-found conflict-management skills.
I. Understanding Conflict – and Why It Makes Us So Uncomfortable
- Exploring the basic causes of conflict
- Proven strategies for minimizing causes of conflict so you can prevent disagreements from occurring in the first place
- How fear of conflict can hold you back personally and professionally
- Recognizing why avoidance, power plays, pouting, and manipulation never resolve conflict
- The positive side of conflict: How you can benefit and grow from conflict
II. Conflict-Resolution Skills Guaranteed to Help You Work Through Disagreements
- Mastering the five step approach to conflict resolution
- Exercise: Using problem-solving worksheets to diagnose what’s really going on in a disagreement
- Never place blame, and other big “don’ts” to avoid during conflict
- Negotiating secrets that master diplomats use to resolve disagreements
- Critical steps that lead to agreement
- Self-validation: A powerful take-home tool that teaches you how to come out on top in conflict
III. Mastering Confrontation: A Professional Approach That Will Improve Your Results Immediately
- Do you dread confrontation? Steps for getting beyond the fear
- Confrontation 101: How-to’s for confronting someone in a calm, professional manner
- Stop … think … use your head: How to avoid over-reacting
- If anger or tears threaten: Proven techniques for neutralizing your emotions
- What to do if someone gets verbally abusive during confrontation
- How to respond when others try to drag you into an argument you don’t want to be part of
- Recognizing when its better not to confront
IV. Effectively Managing Your Anger – and That of Others
- Basic must-know facts about anger
- Anger management made easy: A 4-stage response to anger
- How to get your point across without blowing your top
- Your options when you’ve said something you immediately regret
- Keys to minimizing antagonistic behavior tactics for defusing an angry person
- Crisis management: What to do when someone’s anger threatens to turn into violence
V. Handling Conflict and Confrontation in Specific Tough Situations
- The use of scripts to guide you through common conflict related situations
- Techniques for dealing effectively with backstabbing, ridicule, and malicious gossip
- What to do when you’re challenged or put down in front of others
- Tips for handling criticism without getting defensive or upset
- Power tips for handling various negative behaviors of difficult people
- “Kid glove rules” for handling confrontations with customers or clients
VI. Communication Mastery: Your Key to Conflict Resolution
- The 3 C’s of conflict communication
- Essential communication skills for resolving disagreements
- Conflict-escalating words that you should never use during confrontation
- End mixed messages with clear communication
- Assertive responses that can head off conflict before it starts
- Active listening skills that help you hear what’s really being said – and avoid misunderstandings
VII. How to Handle Conflict and Stress
- Recognizing the long-term health hazards of stress, anger, and unresolved conflict
- Identifying and dealing with toxic stressors that lead to conflict in your life
- Quick de-stressing tips guaranteed to help you keep your cool
- Why you must let go of rage and self-pity if you care about your career – and your health
- Negative self-talk: How to eliminate internal dialogue that can sabotage your best efforts
- The 5-step process for reclaiming your self-esteem after a difficult confrontation
Who Should Attend
- Managers and Supervisors
- HR Personnel
- Help Desk
- Frontline Staff
- Administrative Assistants
- Customer Service Personnel
- IT Professionals
- Team Leaders
- Front Desk Personnel