To be successful, you have to do more than just transform your business; you have to transform your personal brand. That’s something I tell the executives who engage me for my Focused Fun coaching services. If you really want to crush it, in both your personal and professional life, then you’ve got to turn yourself into one of the real rock stars of your field.
The application of this is endless. For example, I have worked with a lot of attorneys whose goal has been getting more TV time, turning themselves into in-demand legal experts. The results? Better cases, better clients, greater favor from judges, more money, more prestige… the list goes on and on.
You may not be a lawyer, and you may not want to be on TV, per se, but you can still work on improving your personal brand. Let me show you a few ways to do so.
- Get published. Ideally, you’ll publish a book—but as you work up to that point, blogs, LinkedIn posts, and even YouTube videos and podcasts can be effective ways of getting your name out there. The point is to show thought leadership. Put your expertise on display, and start showing people that, within your field, you’re the person who really knows your stuff.
- Create stories about yourself. Social media provides you with the platform you need to turn your life into a narrative fit for public consumption. Make sure you make it about more than just you: Brand yourself in the context of your team, your hobbies, the causes you champion, whatever it is you’re passionate about. Turn your social media feeds into destinations for people who are eager to learn the next part of your story.
- Deliver a report. Make yourself useful to other people in your industry; publish a statistical report or a case study with your name on it. Brand yourself as someone who not only knows what they are doing, but has standard-setting data to back it up.
- Become a speaker. You need to attend the big conferences and networking events that the other people in your industry attend—but you also need to sign up to speak there. Nothing helps you build your personal brand like investing yourself in mass education. Start reaching out to conference planners sooner rather than later.
- Get fit. This is important: When you’re healthy, you have more energy and are in a better mood. That shines through, and it magnetizes people. Make a personal fitness plan today, and stick with it through the new year.
What’s keeping you from becoming the rock star in your industry? All you need is a plan and some follow-through; start with these tips, and reach out to me about Focused Fun if you’d like an extra boost!
Dr. Rick Goodman CSP is a motivational keynote speaker who provides solutions globally that help people and organizations lead, engage, and grow their business.
He is also the author of the book Living A Championship Life, “A Game Plan for Success,” and the co–author of the book Jamie’s Journey: Travels with My Dad written with his sixteen-year-old daughter Jamie.
Dr. Rick is famous for helping organizations, corporations, and individuals with systems and strategies that produce increased profits and productivity without having the challenges of micromanaging the process. Some of Dr. Rick’s clients include Heineken, AT&T, Boeing, Cavium Networks, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and Franklin Templeton Investments.
Contact Dr. Rick at www.rickgoodman.com or call 888-267-6098 about speaking at your next event!